International Applicants

Graduate International Student Application Requirements

Woodbury University has a rolling admission deadline policy and prospective students may apply at any time, however after application deadline, the enrollment term is not guaranteed.

Entrepreneur Series Lee Wochner_3.jpg

Application Deadlines

Fall Semester

Graduate Architecture  [Includes: Master of Architecture, Master of Interior Architecture, Master of Science in Architecture and Master of Science in Architecture in Real Estate Development (San Diego campus only.)]

Priority Deadline: March 1st 
Applications will be accepted after the priority deadline until maximum enrollment is reached.


Master of Business Administration

Priority Deadline: July 1
Applications will be accepted after the priority deadline until maximum enrollment is reached.

Spring Semester

Master of Business Administration

Priority Deadline: November 1
Applications will be accepted after the priority deadline until maximum enrollment is reached.

To view semester start dates, please review our Academic Calendar.



Application Requirements

Our graduate programs are designed for scholars who are looking to advance their professional careers and grow within their disciplines. Applicants seeking admission into a graduate program are expected to have completed a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution prior to application submission. Once your application is processed, an admissions counselor will contact you and inform you if further documentation is needed to complete your application.

Complete the application and submit the $75 ($85 for Fall 2020 admission) nonrefundable application fee.


In order to process your application, all sections must be complete, including submission of required admissions documents uploaded through the page.

Woodbury University is a member of The Architecture Centralized Application Service (ArchCAS), a marketplace for prospective architecture students to research participating architecture programs and apply to as many participating Master’s in Architecture programs as they desire with one application portal.

Submit certified English translation of all non-English documents along with official transcripts. Woodbury University will complete a course-by-course foreign credential evaluation from a NACES-approved organization.

Electronic Submission
Woodbury Application – Upload unofficial transcripts to the Woodbury Application, or submit official transcripts via Parchment, Naviance and The National Clearinghouse.

Mail Submission
Official transcripts through mail submission, must include an original signature of the school official(s) and be sealed in an unopened envelope. Transcripts should be mailed to:

Woodbury University
Office of Admissions
7500 N. Glenoaks Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91504-7846

Provide proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the following test scores taken within two years of the date of application.

  • Minimum TOEFL of 80 (ibt)
  • Minimum IELTS of 6.5
  • Duolingo score of 105


  • Completion of a transferable English composition course (non-ESL) with a grade of C or better, from an accredited U.S. college or university
  • Completion of an accredited English language program with the highest proficiency level, from the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), or the American Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).

Submit three professional and/or academic letters of recommendation.

Electronic Submission
Upload letters of recommendation directly through the Woodbury Application.

School of Business

Electronically submit a two-or-three-page essay via our online application system describing your qualifications for acceptance into the MBA program. Address your leadership potential, motivational aptitude, and career goals. Discuss how Woodbury’s MBA will assist you in accomplishing your goals.

School of Architecture

Electronically submit a one-or-two-page essay via our online application that describes your educational and/or professional background, and your reason for pursuing a graduate architectural education at Woodbury’s School of Architecture.

Master of Science Architecture ONLY
Research Statement

Submit a one-or-two-page essay outlining your specific area(s) of interest and identifying any faculty members you feel could serve as an advisor for your work. We are only able to accommodate students whose research interests match that of a faculty member who is able to serve as an advisor.

Electronically submit a professional resume or curriculum vitae via our online application system. This information should list your academic research, professional experience, and/or published works.

School of Architecture

All graduate design applicants are required to submit a portfolio of creative work conveying the scope of their design sensibilities when applying for the Master of Architecture (M.Arch.), Master of Interior Architecture (M.I.A.), Master of Landscape Architecture (M.L.A.), Master of Science in Architecture (M.S.Arch.), and Master of Science in Architecture, Real Estate Development (M.S.Arch. RED) programs.

Submit your portfolio via the SlideRoom link below. A nominal fee will be charged by SlideRoom for this service. Full instructions are listed on the site. For general artwork, we recommend scanned images rather than photos for best resolution. URLs can also be submitted by uploading a PDF or document containing the link. Requirements can be found on the Slideroom site.

A Form I-20 is generated after applicant has accepted the offer of admission by submitting their nonrefundable commitment deposit along with the following documentation:

  • Passport – Submit a copy of applicants’ passport, along with that of any dependents who will apply for an F-2 visa.
  • Bank Statement – Bank Statement issued no earlier than 6 months from enrollment date. Optional at the time of application submission. Financial support must be sufficient to cover student expenses for one full academic year. Bank statements must be original, and on letterhead from a checking, savings, or time deposit account. Brokerage (stock funds), real estate, or any other non-liquid assets are not acceptable. All bank statements must be in English and in U.S. dollar currency or its foreign equivalence. An Affidavit of Support is required for any document which is not in the name of the applicant.


  • Transfer I-20 Form – The Transfer I-20 Form is only required for applicants who are currently in the United States with an F-1 visa granted by another institution.


Submission of falsified documentation will result in admission denial or termination after enrollment.

International Resources and Support

  • Woodbury has developed a truly vibrant environment that promotes cultural diversity and cross-cultural communication throughout the university. International students will experience opportunities to connect with the campus community and experience the culture of the United States and Southern California. Specialized resources are available for students throughout their education involving individual attention, advisement, academic support and student life support.


The GMAT/GRE are not a requirement for admission to any of Woodbury’s graduate programs.

STEM programs at Woodbury

Woodbury is committed to offering Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) programs that help to prepare our students for the professions of today and tomorrow.

Take a closer look at our STEM and digitally-focused programs



Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about our services for international students

International Student Basics

A: Woodbury University defines international students based on citizenship and residency status. If a student will not hold citizenship or permanent residency in the United States one month before a semester starts, the student is an international student who must have an F-1 visa to study.

A: The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant student visa. This is an entry visa used by students deemed qualified to pursue a full course of study at an approved school. An F-1 visa cannot be issued nor renewed while in the US. Visas can only be issued at US embassy or consulate offices abroad. Once you have your I-20, you will need to schedule an appointment with your local U.S. embassy or consulate and pay the SEVIS fee. Click here for the U.S. State Department’s list of embassies worldwide.

If you have a valid I-20 but the F-1 visa has already expired, you do not have to renew the visa unless you leave the US and plan to return.

To learn more about the F-1 visa, visit the U.S. State Department’s website.

A: The form I-20, also known as Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Student Status, is a legal document and evidence of your acceptance to the school issuing the I-20. It is required when applying for an F-1 visa at a US embassy or consulate. Your I-20 is proof of status and should be kept with your passport.

A: No. Although Canadian citizens must apply as international students and receive a form I-20 from Woodbury University, they do not need to go to a US Embassy and apply for an F-1 visa. However, the SEVIS fee needs to be paid and a valid I-20 presented when entering the US.

A: No. As a US citizen, legal resident or greed cardholder, you are a domestic student regardless of where you have been studying. Visa Requirements

Visa Requirements

A: If you are admitted to Woodbury University and wish to attend, you will need to apply for a student visa, which is called the F-1 visa. This process includes submitting financial statements showing that you have funding to study in the U.S. More information on the visa application process is listed on the U.S. State Department website:

A: To be eligible for the I-20, you will need to be admitted, deposited and submit the following supplemental documents:
Copy of passport photo page – this must be a clear legible photocopy of the photo and biographical information page of your passport
Proof of Sufficient Funds – Bank statement showing at least USD$63,500
Sponsor Form

Transfer students must also provide the following documents:

  • Copy of visa photo page
  • Copy of current I-20
  • Transfer Form

A: Please allow 3-4 weeks for the I-20 processing after submitting all required documents. When ready, your I-20 will be shipped via an express courier. An email with tracking information will be sent directly to your email on file.

A: If you are in active status at your current school, you can request your previous school to transfer your SEVIS record to Woodbury University for issuance of a new I-20.

If you are graduating, or your program is ending, you must request to transfer your I-20 to Woodbury University within 60 days of your program end date.

A: SEVIS stands for Student Exchange Visitor Information System and is an internet-based system developed by the US Department of Homeland Security. In order to activate your I-20, you should pay the SEVIS fee at least three days before your visa interview. SEVIS fee information is available at


A: For this information, please see our Graduate International Applicants page.

A: Official transcripts are required to be send directly to:
Woodbury University
Office of Admissions
7500 N. Glenoaks Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91504

TOEFL score reports must be sent by mail directly by ETS to the Office of Admissions.

IELTS scores can be sent by the agency by mail or through the electronic delivery system.

A: All documents regarding your education (marks, certificates, diplomas, etc.) and test scores (TOEFL) must be sent to us DIRECTLY from the school(s) you attended, the Ministry of Education, or the Testing Authority. We do not accept copies issued to students as official. The documents may be a photocopy, only if signed by a school, ministry, or testing authority official, and sent directly to us by the school, the Ministry of Education, or testing authority in a letterhead envelope.

In other words, we must be able to determine that the document we receive (whether the original or a photocopy) has been verified by the issuing institution and that the student (or anyone else) has not had the opportunity to see or touch the document from the time of the verification until we open the document in our office.

If you have any questions whether the document(s) you plan to submit are official, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

A: An original (regardless if it has been laminated) which has been mailed or presented to our office by the student or family.

Originals or photocopies of documents which have been “certified” and mailed by a translator or notary.

Preliminary marks or test scores.

If you have any questions whether the document(s) you plan to submit is official, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

A: Woodbury University’s graduate  English proficiency requirement can be satisfied with a TOEFL test score of80 , IELTS score of 6.5  or an approved English composition course from an accredited US school if completed with a grade “C” or higher.

PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to refuse courses we feel do not adequately prepare students for our curriculum, or require an English placement exam to be taken to demonstrate placement.

College students who will/have graduated from an accredited college/university in an English speaking country are automatically waived from this requirement.

Costs, Tuition, and Scholarships

A: Current student Tuition and Fees is provided on our website. International students must also present a bank statement showing the minimum amount required to demonstrate ability to pay. The 2018-2019 minimum required to be shown in a bank statement is $58,000 for undergraduate students and $63,500 for graduate students.

We cannot predict what future costs will be, since that is determined yearly by the Board of Trustees and depends on a number of factors.

A: No, Woodbury University is a private non-profit school which does not receive funding from the state of California. All students pay the same tuition.

A: No, international students who receive sponsorship by their government do not qualify for scholarships.

A: Yes – International students may apply for on-campus jobs and may work up to 20 hours per week during regular school terms and full-time during school breaks such as summer vacation.

Majors and Academics

A: Our average class sizes vary between 15 and 20 students.

A: All students have a designated advisor to help navigate through the university, choose courses, and graduate on time.

Work and Internships

A: Off-campus employment is limited to temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student’s major area of study. There are two types of practical training: curricular (CPT) and optional (OPT). In order to engage in practical training, students must apply for employment authorization with their International Student Advisor.

Campus Life, Housing, and Student Organizations

A: Woodbury has a very safe campus. Security is on staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

A: No, Woodbury students are not required to live on campus, although many students choose to do so because of the community and convenience of on-campus living. If you choose to apply for campus housing, you are encouraged to do so right after you commit and deposit for your space as we have a limited number of spaces available each year.

A: Woodbury University has many student organizations and associations based on academic, ethnic, political, and cultural interests.