Founded in 1884 by educator and entrepreneur F.C. Woodbury, the University graduated its inaugural class in response to the needs of the city’s growing business community, and established the institutions’ reputation for degrees leading to the professions.
From the start, Woodbury believed in gender equity, as its first class was roughly 50% male and 50% female. This commitment to diversity was very unusual at the time and remains one of our core principles.
The college is chartered by the State of California to grant undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Woodbury becomes a college of business administration and design establishing the division of professional arts, and instruction begins in several design fields closely tied to business: commercial art, cartooning, interior decorating and fashion illustration.
Under the presidency of R.H. “Pop” Whitten, Woodbury College moves into a new administration and classroom facility at 1027 Wilshire Blvd.
The college is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Woodbury changes its charter and adds the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program
Woodbury becomes a non-profit institute of higher learning.
Woodbury College becomes Woodbury University, a nonprofit institution, under the presidency of Dora Kirby. This begins a transformation into the institution Woodbury is today.
The architecture program is added.
Woodbury University acquires a 22-acre campus in northern Los Angeles straddling the boundary with the city of Burbank (former home of one of the nation’s oldest convents), adding new classroom and administration buildings over the next two years.
After two years of construction, Woodbury University moves to its present home.
Woodbury organizes its undergraduate and graduate programs into three schools: the School of Architecture and Design, the School of Business and Management, and the School of Arts and Sciences. Accreditation is received from the National Architecture Accrediting Board (NAAB), following Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) approval three years prior.
The architecture program expands to San Diego.
The schools reorganize into the School of Architecture, the School of Business, the School of Media, Culture & Design, and the Institute of Transdisciplinary Studies (now the College of Liberal Arts).
National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) confers accreditation for animation, fashion design, graphic design and interior architecture. The San Diego campus moves to a new facility in the Barrio Logan district. New buildings for the School of Business and the School of Architecture are completed in Burbank.
New programs in filmmaking, game art and design, and applied computer science are added.
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) confers accreditation.
Professional writing program is added. Dr. David Steele-Figueredo begins his tenure as Woodbury University’s 14th president, committing to advancing student success.
Public safety administration program is added.