Learn how Admissions is affected by the coronavirus

Information for Veterans

Woodbury’s Office of the Registrar certifies enrollment for students who apply and are eligible for educational assistance administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Registrar processes all applications and forwards enrollment certifications to VA regional offices, provides assistance to students with problems that relate to VA educational (or covered) programs, and maintains a reference file on all VA students for up to three years.

Advance payment: Woodbury University does not participate in advance payment for VA students .

What veterans need to know

Woodbury is committed to assisting veterans and their dependents in obtaining a higher education. This information is designed to assist them in receiving their financial aid benefits.

To file for education benefits with the VA, the veterans, service members, reservists and spouses/dependents of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran may use the Veterans On-Line Applications (VONAPP) website . Use link below to file a claim . Retain a copy for your files

File a Claim

After completing the VONAPP (allow 2-3 weeks for processing), you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter in the mail from the Department of Veterans Affairs, which you must submit to the Woodbury Registrar’s Office immediately.

Veterans and/or dependents receiving veterans education benefits are strongly encouraged to also apply for financial aid. Many students believe that they may not receive both financial aid and VA benefits, however, this often not the case.

If you have not done so already, please use link below to apply for a personal identification number (PIN) so that you can complete the online version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Get a PIN

Then, complete the FAFSA using the link below:

FAFSA Online

For assistance in completing your FAFSA application, contact Woodbury’s Financial Aid Office at (818) 767-0888, ext. 273. For students who have had a change of income from the required reporting year, please contact or visit the Financial Aid Office for information on how your financial need may be reevaluated based on the reduction of income.

Note: Woodbury University’s school code is 001343.

The requirements for filing

Applicants must be admitted and enrolled at Woodbury University. All veterans and dependents of veterans may apply for benefit eligibility online using VONAPP (Veterans On-Line Application), which is part of the eBenefits portal.

E-benefits Portal


The required forms for filing

  • VA Application Form (VA 22-1990) for new applicants under VA programs (eligible veterans): Chapters 30, 32, 1606, and 1607.
  • VA Application Form (VA 22-5490) for new applicants under VA program (eligible dependents of veterans): Chapter 35.

This form is the Application for VA Education Benefits. It must be filled out completely and returned to the VA Regional Processing Office. If you are on active duty, signatures from your Armed Forces Education Services Officer and Commanding Officer are required. Veterans must submit a certified copy of the DD-214 along with the 22-1990. Once eligibility has been confirmed you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility, which indicates your benefit program and duration. This certificate must be turned in to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

There are three methods for filing

  • In person: Bring your certificate to Student Service Center in Miller Hall.
  • By fax: Certificate may be faxed to (818) 767-1104.
  • By email: To send your eligibility certificate via email, you must sign and scan the completed form before emailing it to the registrar.

Email Registrar


New students

  • Once you are admitted to the university, you must submit your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to the Registrar’s Office so that we can identify veterans requiring enrollment certification.
  • Following the add/drop period (two weeks after the term begins for traditional 15-week classes), the Registrar’s Office requests billing information from the Business Office to begin the certification process.
  • Once billing information is received, we will process the enrollment certification electronically for the VA (usually within one week of the add/drop deadline)
  • Student schedules will be verified monthly and at withdrawal deadlines to verify continued enrollment and are updated as necessary with the VA.


Returning Students

  • Once you begin enrollment at Woodbury, there is nothing you need to do to initiate certification for future terms.
  • Certification may occur anytime prior to the start of the academic term.
  • We request billing information from the Business Office for all currently enrolled veterans.
  • Once billing information is received, we will process the certification electronically for the VA.
  • Student schedules will be verified monthly and at withdrawal deadlines to verify continued enrollment and are updated as necessary with the VA.

Covered Programs

Woodbury University’s current participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program for 2018-2019 is as follows:

  • Grants of up to $7,500 for up to 20 eligible undergraduates.
  • Grants of up to $4,000 for up to 20 eligible graduate students.

The VA requires schools to offer participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program to students on a first-come, first-served basis. The VA specifically did not provide detailed guidance to colleges about the details of their “first-come, first-served” policies. The policy that Woodbury will use to determine “first-come, first­ served” is the following:

The date the veteran’s Certificate of Eligibility is submitted to the Registrar’s Office for certification will determine the order in which the university awards Yellow Ribbon Program funds. The earliest date will receive the first award and continue on until all of the university awards are exhausted or until the first day of classes, whichever comes first. The selection process will take place each year prior to the beginning of the fall semester.

Covered Programs

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI BIll-Active Duty (MGIB)

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program

Chapter 32: Post-VIetnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Chapter 33: The Post-9/11 GI BIll

Chapter 33: Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Post-9/11 GI Bill)

If you wish to add or change your current degree program, or are new to Woodbury University and have received VA education benefits at another school, you must complete and sign the appropriate form below and return it to Woodbury’s Registrar’s Office .

VA Required Forms

  • VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-1995) for applicants under VA programs (eligible veterans): Chapters 30, 32, 1606, and 1607.
  • VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-5495) for applicants under VA program (eligible dependents of veterans): Chapter 35.

Withdrawals Due to U.S. Armed Forces Military Mobilization

Any current student who has been ordered to service due to emergency or other declared U.S. Armed Forces military mobilizations and must withdraw from the university will be given special consideration as follows:

You must present a copy of the deployment orders to the Registrar’s Office before you leave Woodbury University for military duty.

  • Complete withdrawal from the term(s) without penalty. A letter grade of “WM”(indicating withdrawal due to military service) will be assigned. You can petition for course credit based on work completed. The decision to grant credit will be at the discretion of the instructor and chair.
  • Degrees will be awarded if credit is granted in those courses that meet the completion (graduation) requirements for the program.
  • You should complete a Leave of Absence form.

Students will receive full refunds for tuition and prorated refunds for room and board, without any penalty charges, in those circumstances in which course credit is not awarded.

The two-year leave of absence for persons on active duty will be extended by up to six months following return to inactive service.

Students who wish to return to Woodbury after military duty:

  • You should contact the Registrar’s Office at (818) 252-5270 or registrar@woodbury.edu to obtain registration information for the next semester
  • You must contact your academic advisor to discuss a class schedule for the upcoming semester.
  • If you have questions about VA benefits, contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.