Veterans 2018-19

Veterans General Information

The Registrar’s Office processes all applications and forwards enrollment certifications to VA regional offices, provides assistance to students with problems that relate to VA educational (or covered) programs, and maintains a reference file on all VA students for up to three years.

Advance payment: Woodbury University does not participate in advance payment for VA students.

Step One: Apply for VA Benefits

  • To file for education benefits with the VA, the veterans, service members, reservists and spouses/dependents of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran may use the Veterans On-Line Applications (VONAPP) website. Use link below to file a claim. Retain a copy for your files.

 File a Claim.

  • After completing the VONAPP (allow 2–3 weeks for processing), you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter in the mail from the Department of Veterans Affairs, which you must submit to the Woodbury Registrar’s Office immediately.

Step Two: Apply for Financial Aid

Veterans and/or dependents receiving veterans education benefits are strongly encouraged to also apply for financial aid. Many students believe they may not receive both financial aid and VA benefits—this is not true.

  • If you have not done so already, use link below to apply for a personal identification number (PIN) so that you can complete the online version of the FreeApplication for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Get a PIN

  • Complete the FAFSA online.


  • For assistance in completing your FAFSA application, contact Woodbury’s Financial Aid Office at (818) 767-0888, ext. 273.
  • For students who have had a change of income from the required reporting year, please contact or visit the Financial Aid Office for information on how your financial need may be reevaluated based on the reduction of income.
  • Note: Woodbury University’s school code is 001343.


Filing Procedures

Requirements for Filing

Applicants must be admitted and enrolled at Woodbury University. All veterans and dependents of veterans may apply for benefit eligibility online using VONAPP (Veterans On-Line Application), which is part of the eBenefits portal.

eBenefits Portal

VA Checklist for Filing

Student Checklist


Required Forms for Filing

  • VA Application Form (VA 22-1990) for new applicants under VA programs (eligible veterans): Chapters 30, 32, 1606, and 1607.
  • VA Application Form (VA 22-5490) for new applicants under VA program (eligible dependents of veterans): Chapter 35.

This form is the Application for VA Education Benefits. It must be filled out completely and returned to the VA Regional Processing Office. If you are on active duty, signatures from your Armed Forces Education Services Officer and Commanding Officer are required. Veterans must submit a certified copy of the DD-214 along with the 22-1990. Once eligibility has been confirmed you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility, which indicates your benefit program and duration. This certificate must be turned in to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Three Methods for Filing

  • In person: Bring your certificate to Student Service Center in Miller Hall.
  • By fax: Certificate may be faxed to (818) 767-1104.
  • By email: To send your eligibility certificate via email, you must sign and scan the completed form before emailing it to the registrar.

Email Registrar

New Students

  • Once you are admitted to the university, you must submit your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to the Registrar’s Office so that we can identify veterans requiring enrollment certification.
  • Following the add/drop period (two weeks after the term begins for traditional 15-week classes), the Registrar’s Office requests billing information from the Business Office to begin the certification process.
  • Once billing information is received, we will process the enrollment certification electronically for the VA (usually within one week of the add/drop deadline).
  • Student schedules will be verified monthly and at withdrawal deadlines to verify continued enrollment and are updated as necessary with the VA.

Returning Students

  • Once you begin enrollment at Woodbury, there is nothing you need to do to initiate certification for future terms.
  • Certification may occur anytime prior to the start of the academic term.
  • We request billing information from the Business Office for all currently enrolled veterans.
  • Once billing information is received, we will process the certification electronically for the VA.
  • Student schedules will be verified monthly and at withdrawal deadlines to verify continued enrollment and are updated as necessary with the VA.


Covered Programs

Woodbury University’s current participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program for 2018–2019 is as follows:

  • Grants of up to $7,500 for up to 20 eligible undergraduates.
  • Grants of up to $4,000 for up to 20 eligible graduate students.

The VA requires schools to offer participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program to students on a first-come, first-served basis. The VA specifically did not provide detailed guidance to colleges about the details of their “first-come, first-served” policies. The policy that Woodbury will use to determine “first-come, first-served” is the following:

The date the veteran’s Certificate of Eligibility is submitted to the Registrar’s Office for certification will determine the order in which the university awards Yellow Ribbon Program funds. The earliest date will receive the first award and continue on until all of the university awards are exhausted or until the first day of classes, whichever comes first. The selection process will take place each year prior to the beginning of the fall semester.

Covered Programs

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and correspondence courses but must be pre-approved by the VA. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following release from active duty.

Veterans of World War II or thereafter who have a service-connected disability (80–100 percent) that entitles them to VA disability compensation and who are in need of vocational rehabilitation because the disability creates an employment handicap may be eligible for Chapter 31 benefits. Vocational rehabilitation may be provided for up to 48 months, and an eligible veteran now generally has 12 years from discharge or release from active duty in which to use these benefits. Disabled veterans are encouraged to contact the regional VA office in their areas to obtain detailed information and to request VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation.

VEAP is available for veterans who first entered active duty between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and elected to make contributions from their military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The contributions were matched on a $2-for-$1 basis by the government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

The sons, daughters, spouse, or surviving spouse of certain veterans may be eligible for educational assistance. Eligible persons are entitled to up to 45 months of educational assistance and are paid benefits on the same basis as a veteran with no dependents. You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Basic eligibility exists for a person who (after June 30, 1985) enlists, reenlists, or extends an enlistment in the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. An eligible reservist is entitled to the maximum educational assistance based on full-time training (or the equivalent based on three-quarter or half-time training).

REAP was established as part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the president or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. This program will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition and fees (directly to the school), not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public institution of higher learning (IHL). See chart listing maximum in-state tuition rates.
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. To determine the BAH for your school’s ZIP code, click here (link goes to a non-VA website).
  • An annual books-and-supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately, based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals. See comparison chart for more information.

This benefit is payable only for training at an IHL. (See comparison chart for more information.) If you are enrolled exclusively in online training, you will not receive the housing allowance. If
you are on active duty, you will not receive the housing allowance or books-and-supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits; generally, benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays a base benefit of up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition. This program allows degree-granting institutions in the U.S. to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fees that exceed the VA’s base benefit. The institution can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses, and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

The VA’s 2016–2017 tuition and fee payment as of August 1, 2016, is capped at $21,970.46 per academic year.

Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Program agreement with the VA choose the dollar amount of the grant per student and the maximum number of eligible students. The VA will match the institutional grant and issue payment directly to the institution.

Adding or Changing Major/Degree Objective

If you wish to add or change your current degree program or are new to Woodbury University and have received VA education benefits at another school, you must complete and sign the appropriate form below and return it to Woodbury’s Registrar’s Office.

VA Required Forms

  • VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-1995) for applicants under VA programs (eligible veterans): Chapters 30, 32, 1606, and 1607.
  • VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-5495) for applicants under VA program (eligible dependents of veterans): Chapter 35.

Withdrawals Due to U.S. Armed Forces Military Mobilization

Any current student who has been ordered to service due to emergency or other declared U.S. Armed Forces military mobilizations and must withdraw from the university will be given special consideration as follows:


You must present a copy of the deployment orders to the Registrar’s Office before you leave Woodbury University for military duty.

  • Complete withdrawal from the term(s) without penalty. A letter grade of “WM”(indicating withdrawal due to military service) will be assigned. You can petition for course credit based on work completed. The decision to grant credit will be at the discretion of the instructor and chair.
  • Degrees will be awarded if credit is granted in those courses that meet the completion (graduation) requirements for the program.
  • You should complete a Leave of Absence form.


Students will receive full refunds for tuition and prorated refunds for room and board, without any penalty charges, in those circumstances in which course credit is not awarded.


The two-year leave of absence for persons on active duty will be extended by up to six months following return to inactive service.

Students who wish to return to Woodbury after military duty:

  • You should contact the Registrar’s Office at (818) 252-5270 or to obtain registration information for the next semester.
  • You must contact your academic advisor to discuss a class schedule for the upcoming semester.
  • If you have questions about VA benefits, contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.

Helpful Resources

Veterans GI Bill

VA GI Bill

Information for returning OEF/OIF


Yellow Ribbon Program

Yellow Ribbon Program

Yellow Ribbon Program maximum in‐state tuition and fees

Yellow Ribbon Tuition and Fees