Fashion Design & Graphic Design
This year marks the 80th anniversary of the design departments. In 1931 President Pop Whitten added a Commercial Arts Division to the Woodbury Business College and dropped the word business from the school’s name. The new name of Woodbury College was the beginning of the journey to becoming a University many years later. Eighty years ago women were required to complete a course in Charm, and men in Personality. The degree program in Commercial Art offered classes in Color Theory and Practice, Advertising Layout and Copy Writing, and Advertising Illustration. The Fashion Design program began as a certificate in Costume Designing and included courses in Block Designing, Pattern Drafting and Furs. By 1935 Fashion Design had become a major with courses in Color Harmony and Textile and Fabric Design. The new programs caused the College to outgrow its building on the corner of Seventh and Figueroa near the center of the 1930’s downtown Los Angeles.