School of Business Faculty on a Roll
As the School of Business is preparing for its Self Evaluation Report (SER) year, which is the critical and final step toward AACSB accreditation, the faculty members of Woodbury University’s oldest department have been working diligently on individual and team basis to not only meet but exceed the required standards of performance. While carefully maintaining the Woodbury standards of excellence in course facilitation and student advisement, and continuing their enthusiastic engagement in campus service, the School of Business faculty has also proven its value by performing exceptionally at both the scholarly and professional level. It is essential that faculty members maintain their Academic Qualification (AQ) or Professional Qualification (PQ) status, depending on how their accomplishments have been classified.
Since the start of the academic year 2011-2012, our faculty has, again, faithfully reported its numerous achievements, some of which we proudly share below in alphabetical order of departments and faculty therein:
Dr. Ashley Burrowes
- Will be serving as Track Chair at the Western Decision Science Institute (WDSI) Conference in Hawaii, April 2-6, where he will also be presenting: The State of Performance Reporting by Governments in the USA (co-authored with Judith Kamnikar, Auburn University, and Edward Kamnikar, Troy State University).
- Was appointed to the California State Board of Equalization Advisory Council
Dr. Robert Jinkens
- Will be presenting at the American Accounting Association Conference, Western Region Meeting, in Vancouver, Washington, between April 19 and April 21, 2012. His topic is “Why Accounting Faculty do not Use those Teaching Methods They State are the Most Effective.”
Dr. John Karayan
- Co-authored the article, “Tax Burdens Across the U. S.”, which was published in the Chartered Accountants Journal (February 2012) Vol. 91 No. 2, pp. 60-63
- Authored the article, “An Estate Tax Time Bomb?,” (February 2012), for the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- Was appointed to the California State Board of Equalization Advisory Council
- Co-authored the article “Young Children as Parents’ Extended Selves,” with Dr. Mine Üçok Hughes and Dr. Karen Kaigler-Walker, to be presented at the Academy of Marketing Science Conference in New Orleans, LA in May 2012. The proceedings of the conference will be published.
- Successfully finalized a 2012 show to raise funds for a Children's Hospital in her professional position of fundraiser and marketer for charitable organizations and fashion and multi-media events.
Dr. Robert Bjorklund
- Co-authored the article, “Overcoming Barriers to Participation in Diverse Strategic Decision-Making Groups: A Leadership Perspective,” with Dr. Svetlana Holt. The article is scheduled to be published in the International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 7(6), March 2012.
Dr. Angelo Camillo
- Co-authored the article “The Importance of Managerial Communication for Hospitality Organizational Settings in the Era of High-Tech Evolution,” with Dr. L. Di Pietro. The article is scheduled to be published in Hosteur, a practitioner’s journal of hospitality management.
- Authored the article, “A Strategic Investigation of the Determinants of Wine Consumption in China,” which is scheduled for publication in the International Journal of Wine Business Research, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2012 (Strategy stream)
- Co-authored the article, “Consumers’ Perspective Toward Malaysia Traditional Food: Sambal Belacan,” with Dr. Rashid, S.S.A., Dr. Adzahan, N.M., and Dr. Karim, M.S.A.. The article was recently published in the International Journal of Agribusiness Marketing.
- Co-authored a book chapter, “Success and Failure in Northern California: Critical Success Factors for Independent Restaurants” with Dr. D.J. Connolly and Dr. W.G. Kim., which was recently published in “The Cornell School of Hotel Administration Handbook of Applied Hospitality Strategy,” by SAGE Publications, Inc.
Dr. Satinder Dhiman
- Earned a second doctorate (Ph.D.) by defending a joint dissertation with Dr. Joan Marques titled, “Buddhist Psychology in the Workplace: A Relational Perspective,” on Nov. 7, 2011 at the Oldendorff Graduate School at Tilburg University in The Netherlands.
- Wrote a book, “Seven Habits of Highly Fulfilled Leaders: Journeying from Success to Significance,” for management and leadership students and practitioners, to be published in Fall 2012 by Personhood Press.
- Co-edited a book, “Stories to Tell Your OB Students,” an academic work with reflective, experience-based, metaphoric, multi-cultural, and case-based stories for use in Organizational Behavior, and other management courses. This work was co-edited with Dr. Joan Marques and Dr. Jerry Biberman and was published by Palgrave-MacMillan, New York, NY in October 2011.
- Authored the article, “From Authentic Leadership to Self-Leadership: Present Quest for Meaning, Purpose, and Fulfillment in Leadership,” which was published in Organizational Development Journal in Fall 2011.
- Had two peer-reviewed conference submissions accepted at the Academy of Management (AOM) Conference, and two at the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference (OBTC), among which Spinning the Golden Circle in OB: Using the Why-How-What Principle to Sustain Passion, Purpose, and Performance, with Dr. Joan Marques and Dr. Jerry Biberman will be presented at Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference (OBTC), Brock University 2012-06-20 at St. Catharines and "Where Millennials, Awareness, and the Informal Economy Meet: an Evolutionary Perspective," with Dr. Joan Marques and Dr. Svetlana Holt, will be presented as a professional development workshop at the 2012 Academy of Management Conference, August 3-7, in Boston.
Dr. Nathan Garrett
- Co-authored the article, “Implementing Mission-Driven Assurance of Learning: Improving Performance through Constructive Collaboration,” with Dr. Joan Marques. The article is scheduled to be published in the Journal of Education for Business (A Routledge journal), 87: 1–9, 2012.
Dr. Virginia Green
- Co-authored the article, “From White Paper Writing to White Water Rafting: A Review of Three Strategies to Match Learning with Real Life,” with Dr. Joan Marques and Dr. Svetlana Holt. The paper has been accepted for publication by the Journal of Management Development, a peer-reviewed Emerald Journal.
Dr. Svetlana Holt
- Co-authored the article, “Empathy in Leadership: Appropriate or Misplaced? An Empirical Study on a Topic that is Asking for Attention,” with Dr. Joan Marques. The article has recently been published in the Journal of Business Ethics 105(1), 95-105 (A Springer journal).
- Presented a research paper titled, “Awareness as Performance Driver in New Age Management,” with Dr. Joan Marques, at the One Voice Conference in October 2011, in Boston, MA 2011. The full peer reviewed paper will be included in the forthcoming annual peer reviewed journal.
- Had the following peer-reviewed conference submission accepted: "Where Millennials, Awareness, and the Informal Economy Meet: an Evolutionary Perspective," with Dr. Joan Marques and Dr. Satinder Dhiman, at a professional development workshop at the 2012 Academy of Management Conference, August 3-7, in Boston,.
Dr. Joan Marques
- Earned a second doctorate (Ph.D.) by defending a joint dissertation with Dr. Satinder Dhiman, titled, “Buddhist Psychology in the Workplace: A Relational Perspective,” on Nov. 7, 2011 at the Oldendorff Graduate School at Tilburg University in The Netherlands.
- Authored the article, “The Resurgence of Human Values in Today's Organizations: Pointers from the Buddha,” which was recently published in Development and Learning in Organizations 26(1), 5-7 – 2012 (An Emerald journal).
- Authored the article, “Consciousness at Work: A Review of Some Important Values, Discussed from a Buddhist Perspective,” which was recently published in the Journal of Business Ethics 105(1), 27-40 (A Springer Journal).
- Co-authored the article, “The Effects of the Recession on Workers' Moral, Ethical, and Interpersonal Behavior,” with Dr. Nancy Luna. The article was published in fall 2011 in Performance Improvement 50(10), 28-35 (A Wiley journal).
- Co-authored the article, “Toward Greater Spirituality in Personal and Professional Life: The Movement Gains Momentum during These Challenging Times,” with Dr. Satinder Dhiman, Dr. Richard King, and Dr. Tahmoures Afshar. The article was published in fall 2011 in Organization Development Journal 29 (3), 67-85.
- Authored the article, “A Global SR Standard: Good, or Too Good to Be True?,” in The Journal for Quality and Participation 34 (4), (Jan 2012): 29-33.
- Authored the article, “Moving from TRANCE to THINK – Why We Need to Polish our Critical Thinking Skills,” in International Journal of Leadership Studies, 7 (1), 2012, 87-95.
- Authored the article, “The Dynamics of Accelerated Learning,” recently published in Journal of Business Education & Accreditation 4(1).
- Authored the article, “Got the MEMO? Management Education is Moving On,” The paper is currently in publication at On the Horizon (An Emerald journal).
- Co-edited and co-wrote a book, “Business Administration Education Changes in Management and Leadership Strategies,” with Dr. Satinder Dhiman and Dr. Svetlana Holt, to be published in summer 2012 by Palgrave-MacMillan.
- Co-edited and co-wrote a book, “Teaching Leadership and Organizational Behavior through Humor,” with Dr. Satinder Dhiman and Dr. Jerry Biberman to be published in Fall 2012 by Palgrave-MacMillan.
- Had three peer-reviewed conference submissions accepted at the Academy of Management (AOM) Conference, and two at the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference (OBTC), among which "From A to Z in OB: Awareness as the Sustainable Foundation to Zeal," with Dr. Satinder Dhiman and Dr. Jerry Biberman will be presented at Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference (OBTC), Brock University 2012-06-20 at St. Catharine and "Moral Crossroads: Contemplating Formal and Informal Economy through the Noble Eightfold Path," with Dr. Satinder Dhiman and Dr. Jerry Biberman will be presented at a professional development workshop. The 2012 Academy of Management Conference, August 3-7, in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Alexandra Saba:
- Presented a paper, “Roll the Dice? Are We Gambling with Global Employee Selection? A Reassessment of Competitive Alternatives,” (October 27-29, 2011, Memphis, TN), at the annual conference of the IABPAD, International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines. She also served as session chairperson during this conference.
Dr. Karen Kaigler-Walker
- Co-authored the article “Development and Implementation of an AACSB Assessment Plan: Assessing Two Mission-based Principle Learning Objectives in an Introductory Marketing Course,” with Dr. Mine Üçok Hughes, to be presented at the Marketing Educators’ Association Conference at Long Beach, CA in April 2012. The proceedings of the conference will be published.
- Co-authored the article "Chinese Women’s Perception of Appearance and Use of Appearance-Related Products: From Grounded Theory to Industry Application,” with Dr. Zelda Gilbert and presented at the China Marketing Science/Journal Marketing Science, in August 2011, in Guangzhou, China.
Dr. Mine Üçok Hughes
- Co-authored “How International Marketing Trends Impact Segmentation and Targeting: A Cultural Revision,” with Dr. Luca Visconti, which was published in International Marketing Trends Conference Proceedings, January 19-21, 2012, Venice, Italy.
- Co-authored the research book chapter “Market Segmentation and Targeting Reloaded,” with Dr. Luca Visconti, in Marketing Management: A Cultural Perspective, [eds. Lisa Peñaloza, Nil Toulouse, Luca M. Visconti], Routledge, fall 2011.
Dr. Danielle Way
- Authored the article, “Creativity under Pressure,” which was recently published in the March/ April 2012 edition of, BizEd, Magazine, Your Turn (an AACSB Publication).
- Authored “Consuming Marketing in a Strategic Way: A Pedagogical Approach to Teaching,” to be presented and included in the proceedings at Marketers Educators Conference, April 19-21, 2012.
The above overview contains only works accepted, published, or presented in the current academic year (2011-2012). The School of Business Faculty keeps performing, and the faculty’s professional and intellectual contributions are incessantly being submitted to prominent institutions and journals to ensure proper status maintenance, and to keep the name of Woodbury University high.