> Admissions > Registrar > Academic Policies

Academic Policies

A summary of policies adapted from the Handbook and Guide to Learning

Transfer Policy

Only work comparable to that at Woodbury University in level, nature, and field may be accepted for degree credit. Credits for courses completed with a grade of C (2.0) or higher, may be transferred to Woodbury University and used as degree credit. Grades for these courses, however, may not be transferred, and a student’s cumulative grade-point average will include only work attempted at Woodbury.

Transfer credit is accepted only when the course is applicable toward major, minor, General Education and/or elective requirements for the Woodbury University degree. Credit is not granted for coursework completed at an institution that does not have regional or specialized accreditation.

Final determination of transfer credit is made by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with the appropriate department head.  An official notice of transfer credit will be issued by the Registrar’s Office.  Questions regarding the notice of transfer credit should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.

Courses taken at community (or other similar) colleges after original matriculation at Woodbury may be used for degree credit if permission to enroll in courses is given by the Registrar’s Office prior to enrolling in external courses.

Woodbury University invites eligible high school students to take free courses for college credit at Woodbury. Eligible students may enroll in 100- and 200- level courses on a space available basis.  Credits earned through this program typically transfer to other colleges should students, upon graduation from high school, choose not to attend Woodbury.

To participate in this program, high school students must:

  • Have third year, junior status
  • Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
  • Obtain a letter of recommendation from at least one teacher or program administrator
  • Comply fully with Woodbury University’s policies (e.g., use of library materials within the library, registration deadlines, etc.)
  • Complete the course requirements, as defined by the syllabus, with no exceptions
  • Receive approval from the instructor-of-record
  • Apply through the Woodbury Office of Admission

Students participating in this program may use Woodbury’s academic support programs (e.g., library, computer labs, writing center) but are not eligible for non-academic services (e.g., transportation, health care, financial aid, room and board).

Attended Another College While in High School?

Coursework taken at any accredited college or university while in high school is eligible for transfer to Woodbury.  Please refer to the Transfer Credit Policies section of the website for information on transfer credit.

Credit for Vocational Courses from Institutions with Specialized Accreditation

A maximum of 13 semester units of vocational courses from regionally accredited institutions may be accepted for transfer and applied toward a Woodbury degree. General education (GE) requirements cannot be satisfied by the completion of vocational courses.

Based on the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) and the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation (CORPA), Woodbury University considers select courses transferred for credit from specialized institutions that hold accreditation status with their specialized accrediting agency, specifically Council for Interior Design Accreditation, NAAB, or NASAD. Credit will be granted for this coursework only when a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher has been earned. GE courses will not be transferred from specialized institutions.

General Education (GE) Transfer Policy for Students with an AA, AS, or Bachelor’s Degree

Transfer students who have earned an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree in an academic major from a regionally accredited college in the U.S. or a degree from an international academic institution that is equivalent to a U.S. degree have met most of Woodbury University’s lower-division GE requirements.

Students must still satisfy all academic writing requirements and all major requirements, including lower-division GE courses that are required by the major. In addition, students must satisfy all upper-division GE requirements.

Students with a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college in the U.S. or from an international academic institution that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree will be considered to have fulfilled most GE core requirements except academic writing. Additional, specific GE courses may be required to support the academic major selected by the student.

Degrees and/or credits earned more than eight years before admission or readmission to Woodbury will be accepted to meet GE and university graduation requirements, as well as major requirements, at the discretion of the university.

Transfer credit is not available for those who hold a degree from an institution without regional accreditation or from an international institution that is not accredited.

Students who have taken academic work at Woodbury, and who wish it to count toward degree credit work taken subsequently at another institution, must meet certain conditions:

  • Verification that the college or university is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies of the United States.
  • A Concurrent Enrollment form is submitted for approval to the Registrar’s Office before the courses are taken. Students should meet with their academic advisor and acquire his/her approval for the courses before submitting the petition to the Registrar’s Office.
  • An undergraduate student must meet Woodbury’s residency requirements:
    • A minimum of 45 semester units must be taken at Woodbury.
    • Of the final 40 units in the degree, 32 units must be taken at Woodbury.
  • A graduate student must meet Woodbury’s residency requirement:
    • A minimum of 30 semester units must be taken at Woodbury (MBA students).
    • A minimum of 24 semester units must be taken at Woodbury (MA students).

Petitions for registration at another institution are evaluated by the Registrar or designee, subject to university transfer, residency, and academic load policies. Students who register at other institutions and who have not obtained advance approval from the Registrar are ineligible to receive transfer credit for the concurrent registration.

Other restrictions which apply are listed in the catalog.

Enrollment Verification

The University Registrar’s Office is responsible for certifying student enrollment and degree status. The University Registrar maintains both past and present student records but cannot verify future enrollment. Students are not considered Woodbury University students unless they are currently enrolled at Woodbury.

Students can request enrollment verifications in person by coming to the Registrar’s Office in Miller. Certification letters are usually prepared within three business days.

If the enrollment verification requires the completion of a form where grade-point average information is required, your request must include your signed release.

*Note: We will officially certify your enrollment only for the term(s) in which you are actually enrolled. Enrollments for a future term are processed after the first day of the new term. We only indicate ‘anticipated’ enrollment for future terms if a verification needs to be sent prior to the start of a term.

There is no fee for this service.

Loan Deferment Processing

Woodbury University participates in the National Student Clearinghouse for all loan processing. Every thirty days (beginning after the add/drop period ends for traditional classes), Woodbury submits a report of students' enrollment status to the Clearinghouse, which, in turn, supplies verification of enrollment to lending agencies.

If you registered late or had a change in enrollment status, this information may not be reported until the submission of our next Clearinghouse enrollment update.

If your lender needs a deferment form processed, bring the form only (no envelopes needed) to the University Registrar's office in the University Center.  Deferment forms are normally processed within three business days.


Diplomas will be issued to students upon completion of their degree requirements (December, May, or August. The diploma will show the student's official or legal name as it appears on the degree application unless changed in writing by the student prior to the graduation date for that student.

Woodbury’s longstanding policy is to have only one diploma extant. A replacement diploma in the name of the student as it appeared at the original time of issue will be provided upon written request of the student, return of the damaged diploma, if possible, and payment for materials and printing (replacement fees are currently $ 50.00). The replacement will be provided in the current format and with current signatures. Requests for a replacement diploma must include a daytime mailing address since a delivery receipt signature is required.

If a student's name has been legally changed by court order, or gender change, a new diploma may be issued upon written request, including legal proof of the change, payment of the fee, and return of the original diploma.

Recipients of a Woodbury College degree may also request a replacement diploma. A replacement diploma will be issued in the name of the student as it appeared at the original time of issue upon written request of the student, return of the damaged diploma, if possible, and payment for materials and printing (replacement fees are currently & 50.00).  Replacement diplomas are ordered.  

If you have any questions related to replacement diplomas, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 818 252-5270.